Thursday, March 31, 2011

Farm/Carnaval/Surgery

We went for a walk with the family to a farm near the house that is also a restaurant and makes their own ice cream (I had chocolate ice cream, it was delicious). There were lots of cows along the way and we were literally walking through the fields.
Cows.

At first I thought it was weird when Claudie and other people would go on about how beautiful the cows were and comment on the different ones, which one was prettier but now I think that they're really pretty, too. This one is one of the uglier ones, some of them have black around there eyes that looks like eye-liner.

The farm.

We also went to the Venetian Carnaval in Annecy. It's based off the one in Venice. There's a stage in the park right next to the lake where all of the characters start and then they walk through the park and around the town so you can see them up close even if you haven't gotten a spot along the stage or the parade route. They would pose for all of the cameras and people would even shout at them to turn one or another, and shout at other people to get out of the way. Some people came with their kids in costumes, too. Lorraine, my host sister, and I had put face paint on but then we took it off because nobody else was wearing any...
There were lots of them on the church steps.

Along the canals.

In the park, I think these two were my favorite (or close).

She was one of my favorites, too.

This was by the fountain in front of the town hall.

Along the lake.

She was really pretty, too!   
Then last Thursday, a week ago, I had surgery for my torn ACL and meniscus. The surgery is successful for now, the doctor replaced the ligament and also managed to sew my meniscus back together. The ACL has an 85-90% chance of taking, and the meniscus has an 80% chance. I'm on crutches for a month, and have to stay home from school for two weeks. But, I've restarted physical therapy and he says that my knee is doing really well. I'm excited to go back to school to see everyone and I'll be even more excited when I don't have my crutches anymore! Everyone on the bus looks at me funny when I have the crutches... but now lots of people have them after they all went skiing over the February vacation. It's become a pretty common sight.
Medipole, the hospital where I had the operation, from the bus stop. That's the emergency room, where it says "Urgences." I could see in their windows at night from my room. But not where the action was, I think I had the view of the recovery room.

View from the path behind. My room was on the other side, the front.
This is what they did to me!!! No, just kidding. That's Tiger Woods. But, same idea. Except that now they've advanced and instead of making the big incision, they just make four small holes.
I think it was more like this, but with an even smaller incision.
The doctor had taken pictures for me, but then when he brought his hard drive to put them on my computer, Time Machine came up on my computer asking me if I wanted to back the pictures up on my computer and so I clicked yes, but that actually just deleted them and everything else from his hard drive. I felt terrible, but everything was still on his computer so he can just but everything back onto the drive but I still feel really bad... so you get a picture of Tiger Wood's leg instead of my own! (Actually, when I first clicked on it, I thought that it could feasibly pass for my own but then I noticed that it was in fact more black than my own... although not that much.)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! Except for the knee surgery photos, which are pretty gross...and I just had lunch :b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the carnaval like Mardi Gras? They were lovely pictures. I am peacefully reading and looking and then whoa...........the bloody knee. It did shock me, too. I am wishing you a speedy recovery. Love, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and by the way. When Jeanne and I hiked along Hadrian's Wall in northern England we also crossed many farms. Sometimes it was just farm to farm. That picture brought back memories.............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I'm sorry! I just thought you would like to have an idea of the surgery. Mine was a lot more tame, though! What I don't understand is how Tiger Woods tore his acl. Golf never seemed like a dangerous sport to me. Maybe skiing. I'm glad that I could remind you of England!

    ReplyDelete